Cool Is. . .(30
- Quickwrite #8:What is cool? List things
and ideas that are cool.
- Groups discuss answers and make a list of their
top coolest things. These will be posted and all
students will circulate the room, viewing the lists
and trying to develop a thesis statement.
- Thesis Statement: Cool, as defined by Oakland
teenagers is __________.
Cool is a value, one that is extremely hard to
even identify, let alone define. Still, companies
realize that they must be cool to be consumed by teenagers.
Here are some of the ways in which companies have
become successful by becoming cool.
- Each group will be given one of these articles
(listed below) to read and present in a jigsaw fashion.
As students read, they should reflect upon this
question: Do the techniques used by these companies
sound familiar? Can you cite any ads that use these
- After they read silently, they should discuss
the article in their groups and then prepare a summary
of the articles main points to write up and share.
- "Hilfiger"s Music Ties Hit The Right
Note With Teens" Kidscreen Magazine
- "Alloy Bets New Spots Reflect Teen Spirit"
AdvertisingAge, Aug. 1999
- "Advertising to Teens" Kidscreen Magazine,
- "Humor: The Hard-Core Kid Creative"
Kidscreen, Feb. 1999
- "Best Magazines: Teen-age Girls, Advertisers
Both Heed Seventeen"" AdvertisingAge,
- Quickwrite #9:Given your
understanding of these articles we just read, do
you think these companies are reflecting or influencing