The Theme of Love in Sula
A. An attention grabber: a question, quote, surprising
B. General statements about the role and importance
of love in life
C. General observations about the experience of
love in Sula.
D. Thesis statement: In the novel Sula, authorToni
Morrison proves that love is not easy.
A. Love in the family
1. Eva raises Plum w/lots of love but ends up
2. Hannah questions her mothers love; Eva
responds, "I stayed alive for you (Sula p.
3. Sula overhears her mother say she "likes
but does not love " her (Sula p.57)
4.Sula watches coldly as Hannah burns
5. The Deweys "loving no one and nothing
but themselves" (Sula p. ) are their own
6. Eva fails in her attempt to save Hannah and
gets badly hurt
7. Sula puts Eva in asylum
B. Love between friends
1. Nel and Sula, like one person, know each others
thoughts, "a compliment to one is a compliment
to the other"(Sula p.83) but Sula betrays
2. Shadracks only friend in his mind is
Sula whos not a friend at all.
C. Romantic love
1. Boy Boy has left Eva after five years of womanizing,
physical abuse and alcoholism
2. Rekus has died leaving Hannah alone with Sula
3. Nel and Jude marry, Nel needs someone to care
for, Jude wants to be cared for but Sula ends
their already unhappy marriage
4. Sula has tried to find friend/lover (Sula p.121)
but gives up and becomes promiscuous and ends
5. Sula falls for Ajax but he leaves
A. Restate the thesis
B. Summarize what you have proven: the dangers
C. Personal comment, observation
D. Call to action.